The Life of a Little Diva

Friday, June 18, 2010

Let the teething begin

Oh, teething, how I hate you so! I will never understand why it has to hurt my poor little girl so much just to get some teeth! Surely it could have been a less painful thing! Yesterday was a rough day for poor Molly Grace (and her mommy and daddy!) - worse than any colicky nights, worse than shots, worse even than watching them insert her feeding tube! Yes, it was bad!

She's been super fussy, mouthing everything, and drooling like a running faucet so I knew it was coming. Yesterday afternoon she cried (or screamed her heart out), with real tears and real breathtaking sobs for 45 minutes. The worst part was that I couldn't do anything to help her. Nothing soothed her. She finally passed out from exhaustion. Then last night, same thing. She ate at 8:00 pm and fell asleep. 10 minutes later she woke up screaming. I knew she hurt because it was a cry like I've never heard before. Not a fussy, I'm mad cry. A hurtful cry that left her breathless and sobbing - and left me crying right along with her! We held her, we walked her, we danced with her, we rocked her, we layed down with her, we woke her up, we let her play - nothing helped her. We tried gas drops, tylenol, a cold rag, nothing. She cried like that for 1 1/2 hours straight, no break. She cried so hard she started gagging. We were ready to take her to the ER!

Thank goodness for Babycenter. The ladies on my birthboard all confirmed that their precious 5-6 month olds were doing the same thing and it was teething. What did we ever do without internet to calm our fears? ha!

She finally crashed at 9:45 and slept through the night and woke up a happy girl this morning. We are on a mission today - as soon as she wakes up from her nap (so far it's been a 3.5 hour nap!) we are headed to Walgreens to pick up teething tablets, Orajel and Motrin! We WILL be better prepared for tonight!

1 comment:

  1. What worked the best for Essie were those mesh feeder things filled with ice. She would suck/chew on it constantly. We'd refill it over and over and over again! She also liked sucking on frozen washcloths. She hated teething tablets and teethers however! But the ibuprofen does work!

    ReplyDelete