Today's topic over at Kelly's Korner is proposals. The sole purpose of my blog is to keep up with Molly Grace so one day I can put it all together for her in a book. I figure the day her Daddy proposed to her Mommy is a pretty good story for her! Afterall, it is how it all began!
Jamey and I had been dating for 7 months. I knew I wanted to marry him before our very first date, though! I looked at him one day in church and said to my mom "I'm going to marry him"! Little did I know!
I need to backtrack a little...
My family has always taken our summer vacations in Gatlinburg, TN. It's the most beautiful, relaxing place on Earth (if you haven't been, please go!). We have also always stayed in the same small, family owned cottage that sits right on the creek. Over that creek there is an old, red, wooden covered bridge. It's so picturesque. Way before Jamey ever came along I decided I wanted to get engaged on that bridge. I just had to find the right guy to play along!
Fast forward several years to summer 2002. Once again, our family is heading to the Smokey Mountains for a week of Heaven. Jamey gets the privilege of coming along! ha! For weeks before we left I kept (very subtely) reminding him that I really wanted to be propsed to on that bridge! If you know me at all, you can probably imagine just how subtle I was! ha! On the way there (it's a 9 hour drive, so we had plenty more time to talk about our forth-coming engagement! lol) he finally looked at me and said "it's not going to happen, I want it to be a surprise, I'm not going to propose to you when you expect it". He looked me in the eye and promised that he did not have a ring with him and it was not happening. He said he wanted to ask my dad's permission first and he hadn't had a chance. I actually believed him!
So we'd been there for several days and it was one of our last nights there. In Gatlinburg they always have a midnight 4th of July parade. It's the first 4th of July parade in the country. We walked up to the parade and watched for awhile. It was almost over when Jamey decided we should hurry and get back before the rest of the crowd started walking back. We had to cross the red bridge to get back! It was 2:00 am, I was tired and a little mad that he wanted to leave before the parade was over. I was walking back to the cottage and as I was crossing the bridge I heard him say "Beth, stop a minute". I didn't even turn around, I just kept walking and said "NO! It's late and I'm tired!". He just kept insisting, though. Finally, I spun around and said "WHAT?". Guess what...
He was on one knee (on my special red bridge) holding up a ring. I couldn't even move! He said something that I'm sure was really sweet! ha! I don't remember anything except "Will you marry me?". I literally tackled him, and we both fell down on that red bridge! People were starting to make their way across the bridge and we got several smiles, awww's, wierd looks and congratulations!
It was 2 am and we were alone so I have no pictures! But I do have the memory!
It was the most perfect night! I've always loved him for listening to what I wanted and making my dream come true!
He's an amazing man, husband and daddy.
Friday, June 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment