The Life of a Little Diva

Sunday, July 31, 2011

RIP Sophie

Today we said goodbye to a good friend, our "baby" and a member of our family. I really hate goodbyes. Sophie hasn't been herself for awhile now. Turns out she has heart worms really bad. At this point there was nothing we could do for her except let her go in peace. She couldn't run and play like she wanted anymore without hacking and wheezing and nearly passing out. She wasn't able to lead the life she wanted so we let her go. I like to believe she's in Heaven. Maybe a special Dog Heaven!

I can't say enough about Sophie. She got me through some very tough times - the hardest year of my life, actually. When we weren't able to get pregnant and I was so unhappy and defeated, Sophie came along and filled a little bit of that emptiness. She needed me and I needed her. We rescued her from the shelter, nursed her through Parvo, and watched in amazement as the small lapdog we thought we adopted grew into an 80 lb ox! Ha! She never quit thinking she was a lapdog, though.

Sophie was such a good playmate for MG. Even though she was huge and tended to be wild and jump, she was always so gentle with MG - like she knew. She never jumped on her, but was always so excited to see her! She loved to give MG big slobbery kisses! MG loved her, too. I hope she's still young enough that she won't remember. It's going to break my heart the first time she goes to the back door and asks for "Suh-wee".

No comments:

Post a Comment