The Life of a Little Diva

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Time for a Check-up

All I can think about is the Doc McStuffin's theme song when I type that! Anyway, MG had her 4 year old check up today (still can't really believe it's time for that)! It went about like I expected. She refused to go through the door - so I had to carry her back. She wouldn't get up on the scale - so I had to put her up there and let go really quick...twice! She was not all about finding out how tall she is - I had to push her against the wall and hold her while the poor, sweet nurse did her best to get a measurement. And that was all before we even got into the room! They tried to do an eye test - just telling what the pictures are. She flat out refused. Turned her head and wouldn't even look at the chart or the nurse, much less speak. The nurse tried to do a hearing test. She showed MG the instrument. All it was was a little earphone - I even told her it was just like her headphones. She stuck her fingers in her ears so hard that her face and hands turned red. The nurse and I were both trying to pull her hand away and couldn't. I'm not making this up!

It looked hopeful for a minute or 2 while the nurse took her blood pressure and listened to her heart. MG sat up there like a big girl. She helped hold the blood pressure thingy for the nurse and let her hear her heart. I had hope... Then the doctor (actually APN - who we love) came in and all hope was lost! The good news - her strawberry is so flat and light now that Ms. Amy couldn't believe it! She said hers is a "textbook" case and will probably take care of itself. Her tubes are both still in - Hallelujah! Tubes have never lasted this long! Over a year now. Wow! Her height and weight are good - 80% for weight and 99% for height. She's going to be our little basketball player!

I had a long chat with the APN about behaviors and she suggested immediate time out for fits/meltdowns. She also suggested a positive behavior chart for the things we want her to improve on - answering questions, talking to others, not being carried, etc. It was hard to hear, sort of, but I know she's right. Because of her SPD, we tend to not push her to talk or do things that might cause a meltdown because, let's be honest, who wants a meltdown if it can be helped! But it's time. I hate it, but it's time! SPD cannot be a crutch and it can't be an excuse. Bleh! Amy was happy to hear that she's in OT and being seen by a behavior therapist. She is very confident that we'll see a big change in her once she starts Pre-K full time. I hope so. But man-alive does it terrify me to send her somewhere!!

As for the rest of the check-up, MG sat on my lap and flat out refused to answer any questions Amy asked her or even look up, really. I had to vouch for the fact that she knows her shapes, colors, abcs and can right her name! Geez! And then came the shots. Oh my goodness was it horrible! First was the flu mist - I thought that one would go smoother than it did. I was wrong! I had to hold her head and hands. Then came the shots. I've heard her scream loudly before, but today she broke out a whole new set of lungs!

We survived, though, and that's all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment