The Life of a Little Diva

Monday, October 28, 2013

Long Overdue Update

I've been meaning to sit down and update for awhile now, but who has time?! I feel like we go nonstop anymore and at the end of the day we all just crash! MG is doing so well. She's made such progress in so many ways. She's really growing up. We've taken a couple steps back when it comes to the hair pulling...and it makes me want to pull mine out as well! But the progress she's made socially and emotionally are so much more.

Ok, let's see...highlights from our life lately...

School is going good for MG. She loves her teacher and looks forward to going. Her developmental therapist, Mrs. Julie, sees her every Thursday and MG is crazy about her. She sends me an update each Thursday telling me what they worked on together. At the bottom there is always a sweet note telling me how sweet MG is or what a wonderful job she did. MG gets so excited on Wednesday nights when I tell her that tomorrow she gets to see Mrs. Julie! One morning she even made her a picture! I love that she's developing relationships with people outside of family. It's a huge step for her.

OT has been a God-send for us. We were kind of bummed because Mrs. Kim who she saw for a few months graduated and moved. But she's started seeing Mrs. Zam, who did her initial evaluation. The first week was a tough transition, but since then she has fallen in love with Mrs. Zam, too! Today was the very first day since she started OT that I did not have to go into the gym with her. I walked her to the door and gave her a kiss. She took Mrs. Zam's hand and walked right in like a big girl! Wow! Talk about progress! We went from me literally dragging her in crying to walking right in and never looking back! She always gets a positive report from OT, too. Today she did have a little trouble transitioning and didn't want Mrs. Z to correct her grip on the crayon, but she also has a nasty cold and feels awful so that may have a little to do with it. That and she just doesn't like being corrected, she's my child! Ha!

We have gone the longest streak ever with no ear troubles. Unfortunately our streak ended Saturday night. All good things must come to an end, so I hear! We just had MG at the ENT a week and a half ago for her 6 month checkup. She had a lot of congestion, headache and a cough - which she said was a virus going around - but ears were perfect. Saturday night she woke up crying with an earache saying that there was water in it. Sure enough, it was draining. We started drops and have an appt. first thing tomorrow morning. I'm hoping we caught it early enough that it's not a battle to get rid of it this time. These tubes have lasted way longer than I ever thought!

One of the biggest things I need to add is that MG sang in church with her Sunday School class! Never in a million years did I dream she would go through with it, but she did! All of the 3s, 4s and 5s were scheduled to sing during the 11:00 service. We brought the CD home and listened to nothing else in the car for 3 weeks! The week before she was supposed to sing, she flipped out when we tried to take her to class. I mean, seriously flipped out. Ran after us screaming and everything. So we left church and went straight home to bed. May not have been the best choice, but I felt we needed to call her bluff. She didn't get to go on our special trip we had planned to Parker Homestead and she had to go to bed. After that incident, I really didn't know what to expect the morning of the singing. We talked it up all week, though. I told her it was for Granny's bday (it was the day before) and we talked about being brave. We even planned a trip to Parker Homestead with ALL the family to celebrate - we would've gone either way, but she didn't know that! Anyway, that morning, I dropped her off in the room with all the other kids and she went with her teacher like a pro. She walked out on stage with her class and never cried, never freaked out, never panicked. It was amazing. I was so afraid that the huge crowd and loud music would send her into a panic, but it didn't. She looked so big and so adorable up there. I almost cried! She was so proud of herself and we were so proud of her.

We did go to Parker Homestead afterward with her Mamaw, Papaw, Granny, Pap, Mamie, Jon-Jon, Josh and Caleb. We had a really good time. We actually ran into her Sunday School teacher there and she wanted to go over and say hi - and she did! Not just baby steps...GIANT steps!

Last weekend was busy for us. We took her to Disney Live Friday night. It was the same show we took her to 2 years ago. She loved it then, but she loved it even more this time. It was so fun to see how different the experience was for her 2 years later. I wasn't sure how she would react to the wicked queen in Snow White, but she didn't flinch. The lights and music weren't too much for her either. It took her a little while to get completely at ease. She spent the first part on my lap and wouldn't let me take my arms from around her at all! But by the end she was standing up, waving at the characters and yelling back when they asked something. Good times! Precious memories!

Saturday night we went over to Memphis to Zoo Boo. I've always wanted to go and I'm so glad we did. She got to trick-or-treat at the zoo, we went on a hayride, she led us through a hay maze, and even rode a camel with Jamey. She had such a good time! She didn't feel 100% so she tuckered out early, but we still had such a fun night.

No comments:

Post a Comment